No matter what advertising formats to support downloading of your application you go for, there are two basic rules to stick to:
- Always try to make it as easy as possible for users to get to the app.
- Don’t forget to tell them why they should be using your mobile application.
Use a smart banner to address your online shop’s mobile visitors
The smart banner in the header of your online shop is absolutely fundamental for advertising. Every visitors sees it and it tells them about the benefits of the mobile application and offers them an opportunity to install it simply and free of charge.
What happens if it draws their attention and makes the users click on it? It takes them directly to Google Play or the App Store.
A benefit for you: You will always create this smart banner together with us.
- First, we agree on a benefit offered in the application. Free shipping? First-purchase discount? Either one works really well.
- Then we create a smart banner that you can simply deploy in your online shop. The whole process takes just a few minutes.
The smart banner can also display for desktop visitors. Once they click “Install”, it asks them to enter their phone number and then sends them a download link.
Work with the well-known App Store and Google Play icons
Let’s stay on the topic of websites a bit longer and help you further use it to advertise your e-commerce app. What kind of opportunities does it present?
1. Create a special page called a landing page in your online shop or blog where you can first properly introduce your new mobile app to your customers:
- Sum up the benefits the application offers to users (a simple and quick purchase made from a mobile phone, special offers only in the application, help for repeated purchases, shopping without registration, logging in or use of a keyboard, and so on).
- Tell them how to install and use the application.
- Offer help when they don’t know what to do (contact info).
Don’t forget to add links to the App Store and Google Play so customers don’t have to search for the app themselves.
Share the web page on social networks, provide links to it in your campaigns, and simply spread the word wherever you can.
2. Add App Store and Google Play links in the footer of the website to up your odds that users download it.
Social networks are great for making your mobile app more visible
These days most users access social networks from their phones, making them a precious source of new customers for your app.
Do you manage your online shop’s social media pages? Create an attractive post on your profile and advertise it to your fans, their friends, and other audiences. With paid advertising and its detailed targeting now available, you’ve got a lot of options.
TIP: Once again, make sure to emphasize to your customers the benefits of installing and shopping in the app (the simplest and most comfortable shopping experience, first-purchase discount, free shipping in the application, etc.). Also, don’t be afraid to advertise the app regularly. People rarely remember what you posted two months ago.
It’s usually best to create a special deep link on social networks—something we’re happy to help you with. This link customizes the target web page of the link to your fans in one of the following ways:
- If they have the app installed already, the link opens it.
- If they don’t have the mobile application and arrive there for example from an iPhone, they are taken to the App Store, where they can download it.
- If they open the link on an Android device, they are taken to Google Play.
- If they use the button on a PC, it takes them to the landing page you have created on your website or to a page where they can download the app via SMS.
Wanna hear another simple way to advertise the app on Facebook? Just use the Call to Action (CTA) in the header of your company profile. Try it for yourselves:
- Choose “Use application” from the buttons.
- Enter the link to the appm-shop in Google Play and the App Store.
- Use paid advertising to broadcast the CTA and call people to download the mobile app.
Newsletters: a reliable source of new users
Do you use e-mailing to advertise your special offers? Then add a regular advertising app to your plan.
TIP: Adding download links to the footer of your newsletter is another efficient way to promote your app.
You’ve come up with an offer that attracts users to your app: a 10% discount on strollers for any user who installs the application. Great. Now what? Simple!
- Just set the discount for this category in the application.
- Add a deep link to the newsletter, which leads to given category in the mobile application. The customers who have already downloaded the application will be taken directly to the sale and will be able to immediately purchase the products, while those who don’t have the app yet will be invited to download it.
Use good-old PPC advertising
Proper PPC support of your app is a topic which deserves a separate article (and we’ve got one on the way, in fact!). To get started, though, you can try setting up Universal campaign promotion applications. True, they only support Android applications, but it’s a good place to start.
How to set up these campaigns? Google tells us that, unlike other campaigns running in Adwords, you don’t have to design individual ads; just provide your text proposals for the ads and Google Play. From there, Google
- sets up a wide range of ads for various formats and networks
- displays them in ways that maximize your benefit
All you need to do is create a few lines of text and set up the default menu, budget, and language for the ads, and the ads will display in the search network (Google search, Google Play, and Google partner websites), on YouTube, and in the content network (other applications and mobile versions of news servers, blogs, etc.).
In the long term, ads targeted at users who have already been in contact with you are the most efficient.
Setting up remarketing is actually quite simple:
- For the target group, choose all the users who have already visited your website,
- target the ads at mobile devices,
- and again, don’t be afraid to emphasize and repeat the biggest benefit users will get out of using your appm-shop.
You or your marketing specialist will surely come up with other ways to get the word out to your customers about your app, so don’t be afraid to start! The more customers learn about your mobile application, the better the chance they install it and will actively use it. From there you can support their activities in the mobile application, and push notification for special offers and new products is the perfect tool for that. See how to set that up in this article.